What is ClinicalConnect?
ClinicalConnect provides healthcare teams secure electronic access to your aggregated electronic health records (EHRs) in real-time, anytime, anywhere, enabling a complete view across the continuum of your care. Information from hospitals, 4 Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs) (formerly known as Community Care Access Centres (CCACs)) and Oncology Centres located in South West Ontario can be accessed by authorized healthcare providers through the ClinicalConnect secure web-based clinical viewer. Up-to-date, accurate and complete information is critical for healthcare professionals making the best medical decisions regarding your health – ensuring the delivery of quality care.
To see a list of healthcare organizations that contribute and/or consume personal health information in ClinicalConnect, please see the Participant Organizations list.
What information is available in ClinicalConnect?
With ClinicalConnect, your healthcare providers can view much of your electronic medical information from local hospitals and CCAC systems, including your:
- Medications while in hospital
- Past lab tests
- Transcribed medical reports (including discharge plans and specialist evaluations)
- Radiology images (x-rays, CT scans, MRI results)
- Pathology results (biopsy results)
- Microbiology results (C. diff, MRSA)
To see a complete summary of the types of data that is available in ClinicalConnect, please see the Integration Status Chart.
How does ClinicalConnect benefit you as a patient?
- Your healthcare providers have immediate access to your essential health information
- Reduces duplication of tests and procedures, saving time, discomfort and cost
- Improves the transfer of your care between your healthcare providers and other healthcare organizations
- Provides secure and private access to accurate health information
- Reduces duplication of documentation in your healthcare information
- Improves coordination of your care
- Increases patient safety and the quality of your care
How is your health information protected in ClinicalConnect?
All healthcare organizations participating in ClinicalConnect are required by the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) to protect patient privacy and the security of information.
- Healthcare providers regulated by law and professional code of conduct
- Access your information for authorized purposes only
- Must be directly involved in your “circle of care”
- Ensure and protect the privacy, security and confidentiality of your information
- All access is subject to audit
It is your right to withdraw your consent to have your personal health information viewed, used and disclosed via ClinicalConnect. You may access and correct your personal health information at any time.
Please contact the Privacy Office of the healthcare organization that contributed your personal health information for viewing in ClinicalConnect for more information on accessing, correcting or withdrawing your personal health information in ClinicalConnect.
If you require assistance in determining which healthcare organization contributed your personal health information for viewing in ClinicalConnect, please contact the ClinicalConnect Program Office at 905-577-8270 ext. 9.
- ClinicalConnect data is securely encrypted and access is available to hospitals, healthcare facilities, and providers involved in the “circle of care”
- All access to ClinicalConnect is tracked and logged with ongoing auditing managed by Privacy Contacts/Auditors
- Privacy and security policies, controls, procedures and training programs serve to protect patient information
- ClinicalConnect Privacy Contacts and Privacy Committee Members span all Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs) with Participant Organizations
For more information about ClinicalConnect privacy practices or to raise a concern you have with our practices, please contact:
ClinicalConnect Program Office
Phone: 905-577-8270 ext. 9
You have the right to contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario if you think we have violated your rights. The Commissioner can be reached at:
Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
Please do not send personal health information via email.
Click here to read ClinicalConnect’s Statement of Information Practices.