Ontario Health Teams
The Digital Health Playbook mandates that Ontario Health Teams use a clinical viewer; the HITS eHealth Office operates one of the two viewers called ClinicalConnect™ which is the clinical viewer for south west Ontario, defined by LHINs 1-4. ClinicalConnect is a secure web-based portal that provides physicians, clinicians and their authorized staff with real-time access to their patients’ electronic medical information, including historical data, from all 72 acute care hospitals, Local Health Integration Networks’ Home & Community Care Services and oncology centres in South West Ontario, plus various data repositories including the Province's:
- Clinical Documents from the Acute & Community Clinical Data Repository (acCDR)
- Diagnostic Images & Reports from the Diagnostic Imaging Common Service (DI-CS)
- Medication Records from the Digital Health Drug Repository (DHDR)
- Lab Reports from the Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS)
- Select Primary Care (EMR) Data from the Primary Care Clinical Data Repository (pcCDR)
Why Use ClinialConnect?
It offers 24/7 access to patients’ essential health information, reduces duplication of tests and procedures, saving time, discomfort and cost; improves coordination of care between healthcare providers, and improves patient safety and quality of their care. Accessible on desktop & mobile devices, launches seamlessly, with patient context, from multiple types of health information systems. Supports provincial Single Sign-On standard, settings can be customized by users, and all accesses to data are subject to audit. Data from provincial
repositories are viewable in ClinicalConnect by users at authorized Participant Organizations.
Key Clinical Modules
- Allergies: allergy information; allergies are also flagged in the Patient Header
- Blood Bank: results that can be filtered by test or product
- Cardiology: cardiology-related reports and images
- Health Records: scanned historical health records from Hamilton Health Sciences and Niagara Health
- Home & Community Care: data from CHRIS, including Coordinated Care Plans, notes, client demographics, personal & medical contacts, service list, placement list, characteristics, LTCH choices & bookings, community support and other resources, diagnoses, primary care group, risks, safety issues, allergies
- Lab/Microbiology/Pathology & Genetics Modules: Hospital and OLIS lab reports
- Pharmacy: Hospital Meds: in-patient hospital pharmacy orders for selected visits/encounters; Home Meds
- Drugs & Services: meds/pharmacy services from DHDR, including data from Narcotics Monitoring System (NMS). Provides Drug Utilization Review (DUR) Alerts.
- Primary Care: sub-set of data from EMRs of four Primary Care offices integrated via pcCDR
- Radiology: reports and images from hospitals and select Independent Health Facilities, including from DI-CS
- Transcription: typically includes discharge summaries, consult reports, OR and progress notes from hospitals, including from acCDR
Key Features & Functionality
- Census Lists: speeds patient searches, available by inpatient/outpatient locations (Station/Ward/ED)
- New Results: flags new and abnormal results from last 24, 48 or 72 hours
- Patient Dashboard: customizable “landing page” that can include user's frequently used modules based on workflow
- Patient Search: conducted by HCN, MRN, Name, with multiple sorting options available
- Patient Visits Timeline: interactive historical and future scheduled outpatient visits
- Worklist: available to all users to create their own patient lists to streamline accessing data
ClinicalConnect Clinical Viewer: One-Stop-Shop
- Other repositories like the Digital Health Immunization Repository (DHIR), as well as other otherwise disparate health information systems used across the continuum of care, can be connected using ClinicalConnect to truly provide a ‘one-stop-shop’ for managing patients’ healthcare from within a single system
- ClinicalConnect launches from various information systems and supports provincial Single Sign-On Standard
- Flags HealthLinks patients and other patient populations such as Frequent ED Visitors, known infectious diseases etc.
- Interoperable with other health information systems; for example, can be evolved to support creation/management of eReferrals, or launch from other systems like OTN’s eConsult
If you are not already a Participant of ClinicalConnect, please click here to review the process and apply to become a new Participant.
If you are unsure how ClinicalConnect may fit into your application to become an OHT, please speak to your OHTs single point of contact for digital health who is responsible for leading the implementation of digital health activities for your team.
If your OHT has questions about ClinicalConnect, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.